Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Camping, Part One: The Journey

Last weekend was a weekend of firsts, among them:
  • First camping trip of the year
  • First camping trip in Idaho
  • First camping trip that I have single-handedly planned
  • First camping trip where I have traveled into unfamiliar wilderness areas without Chris
After hours of online research it appeared that our best bet would be trying to camp on the middle fork of the Boise River. As most of the campgrounds were fairly small (three to five sites per campground with one coming in at a whopping nine sites) and we wanted a shady spot that was actually on the river, it was decided that I should drive up before Chris got off work to find a suitable campground and stake out our site.

Saying that I was nervous about traversing the back-roads of an unknown area by myself and without cell service is a bit of an understatement: I'm capable of getting hopelessly lost even when MapQuest holds my hand. Much to my relief, another member of our group asked if she could ride up with me that day, leaving our hubbies to arrive together later that evening.

Supplies loaded into our trusty four-wheel drive and directions in hand, we set off into the hills. Since the area that we planned to camp at was supposed to be forested, you can imagine my concern when mile after mile of the drive continued to look like this:





No comments: