Monday, January 11, 2016

Without Loss Of Enthusiasm

The last few months of 2015 were pretty much a blur, thanks in large part to morning sickness and exhaustion. The good news is that life has returned to "normal" and I'm no longer constantly horrified by the state of the house. With that said, we haven't done much in the way of things exciting or newsworthy, but a happy and quiet routine is just fine with me for now. We're hitting the ground running in 2016! Not making resolutions, but the usual lists and goal planning. 

Jr trying to bribe the cat to come out from under the bed with treats, which I found
to be rather impressive logic for an 18 month old.

Christmas pajamas!

Our latest favorite for art, washable paint dabbers!

Sensory play with rolled oats.

Pregnancy Update

How far along: 18 weeks

Maternity clothes: Only the Blanqi support tanks for those pesky ligament pains, but I will probably need to start making the switch soon. It seems like my belly has really started to pop over the last couple weeks.

Sleep: Fragmented and uncomfortable, but reasonably sufficient most nights. I'm sure it would help if I wasn't so thirsty every evening and all through the night, but I can't stand that parched feeling.

Best moment this week: Finally starting to hit that second trimester sweet spot - more energy, less nausea, and not too uncomfortable/tired to get motivated!

Missing anything: Still dreaming of that second cup of coffee, but nothing unbearable. A cold pepper turkey sandwich sounds rather amazing, but is sadly off limits from the listeria potential. I've never been a huge fan of sandwiches, and sandwiches with heated deli meat are even less appealing. BLTs will have to suffice now that I have a source for nitrate-free bacon.

Movement: I started to feel occasional "quickenings!" Which is still the strangest, and yet completely normal, term for those first flutters of movement. I really missed this part of pregnancy.

Cravings: Iceberg lettuce - not romaine, not arugula, just plain old iceberg by the wedge. Cherry tomatoes are still a favorite, but that's not exactly new to pregnancy. Salty things in general, but I'm trying to avoid giving in too often as I'm dreading the water retention/swelling that happened last time around.

Anything making you queasy or sick: The morning sickness has tapered off enough to stop with the B6 combo, but it still tends to make its presence known first thing in the morning and later in the evenings. The smell of food generally doesn't sit well, and I swear I can smell everything the neighborhood is having for dinner when we take an evening walk. Prenatal vitamins are definitely causing nausea, but I take them right as I go to bed so it's not too bad.

Gender: Hopefully this week!

Labor signs: No additional Braxton Hicks since I've been much more attentive to staying hydrated.

Symptoms: A little tired and vaguely nauseated, but overall pretty darn good. WEIRD dreams most nights, a super sensitive nose, and my abdomen has been pretty tender. Ligament pains come and go, but seem to be easing up compared to how they were a couple weeks ago.

Happy or moody: Thankfully, the emotional roller coaster has pretty much leveled out. The fact that I am rarely ever moved to tears by a movie has been a running joke for years - and I am so happy to return to that version of normal!

Looking forward to: The next ultrasound! Hopefully this little one will cooperate so we can find out the gender. Once that happens, I can start planning whether the guest room will be converted to a play room or a nursery.

Baby gear/preparations: I've been trying to get a head start on nesting - mostly through organizing, deep cleaning, and testing new freezer meals.

Funny moments: We hosted Christmas dinner this year, and for some reason* I was pretty much left to my own devices for the planning. Christmas Day it dawned on me, one hour before my parents arrived and four hours before the other guests would be arriving, that I had completely neglected to plan any finger foods. Luckily, between both of our kitchens, my mom and I were able to whip up a decent snack spread - which was a good thing since dinner ended up being almost an hour late! Prime rib for 20 is not exactly my area of expertise.
(*Considering that my family is fully aware how hard pregnancy brain hit me last time, I'm taking very little responsibility for either kerfuffle.)

"I think in terms of the day's resolution, not the years'."
Henry Moore

No comments: